Enjoy a one-hour guided horseback ride from Mar Vista Stables down scenic coastal bluffs to San Francisco’s spectacular Thornton State Beach and Ocean Beach near Fort Funston, one of the most popular outdoor recreation spots in the Bay Area.
Mar Vista Stables provides guided trail rides for beginners as well as intermediate and advanced horse riders.
One of our trained guides takes you, your friends and family down to the beach via scenic trails with Northern California seacoast views. We ride through Thornton Beach State Park and Fort Funston National Park down sandy hills covered with succulent plants with a chance to see dolphins, whales, seals, red tail hawks and other California wildlife and birds.
You will generally ride with anywhere from 2 to 15 other riders and our trail rides are walking only, so you don’t need to worry about going too fast. We are open 7 days a week with seasonal hours.
RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL RIDES!
WEEKEND RIDES (minimum 2 persons) depart at 10:00 AM – 12:00 Noon – 2:00 PM
WEEKDAY RIDES are by appointment (name your time). Please call to ask about availability and make a reservation.
Please arrive 30 minutes early to get checked in, oriented and seated on your horse.
CASH ONLY PLEASE!
2022 TRAIL RIDING RATES
$70: One Hour Ride (Ages 8+ and 225 pound weight maximum)
$15 for 10 minutes: Pony Rides on the Carousel (Ages 2-8 with parent present & signed liability form)
All riders are required to wear a helmet and sign our Release of Liability form prior to saddling up and beginning their ride.
Please note, Mar Vista Stables reserves the right to cancel rides due to weather or on hot days based on the need to protect the health of our horses.
- Since you always need both hands to ride your horse, while we allow you to bring your cell phone for taking pictures, please don’t pull yours out until we are safely on the beach and the guide tells you it is ok to do so.
- Purses and backpacks are not allowed with you on your ride.
- You MUST wear close toed shoes. NO SANDLES.
- We are not able to accommodate handicapped riders who are blind or riders who are injured.
- We will not allow riders who are intoxicated or drunk on our horses.
- All riders must wear a helmet (hard hat) at all times while riding and when present at our facility.
- Our barn facilities are NO SMOKING. EVER. ANYWHERE.